In this lesson Bro. Edwards shares 10 rules for how to read and understand the Bible:
This is the third lesson from Johnie Edwards presented in our spring Gospel Meeting. Just click the play button above to listen.
Key Passages: Ephesians 3:3-5 and 2 Timothy 2:15.
1. When Bible truth on a topic is established, it holds true in every passage about that topic
2. Observe the punctuation
3. The Bible CAN be understood – (Ephesians 5:16)
4. Understand WHO is being spoken to
5. Be familiar with the setting/context – (Romans 10:13)
6. Hear everything the Lord says on a subject to understand it – (Psalms 139:17)
7. Respect the silence of the Scriptures – (Acts 15:24, I Peter 4:11)
8. Understand the purpose of what the speaker said. Why did they say it?
9. Understand sometimes the Bible is literal and sometimes the Bible is figurative (Revelation 1:1)
10. Desire to obey it, when you learn what it says – (John 7:17)